- Aquaculture is now a very relevant activity. Approximately 47% of the fish consumed in the world today come from aquaculture and in Europe the corresponding level of consumption is 20%. Furthermore, in Europe about 65,000 workers live from this sector.
- Despite the great growth that has taken place in this activity in Europe over recent decades, the EU only produces 2.1% of the world’s aquaculture products, while Asia is the main producer.
- Due to the increase in demand for fish and falling captures due to the exhaustion of fish stocks, future demand will need to be met by product supplied by aquaculture.
- >15 Web about the negative effects of aquaculture (en)
- >15 Web about overfishing (en)
- >15 Educational resources (en)
- >15 About aquaculture in Europe (bg, cs, da, de, et, el, en, es, fr, it, lv, lt, hu, nl, pl, pt, ru, ro, el, sk, fi, sv)